Possible intern duties:
· Conduct research on country conditions and international human rights standards.
· Assist staff and volunteers with compiling reports based on Human Rights Monitoring missions.
· Monitor news reports, legislation and other developments in targeted countries.
· Review program web pages and assist in updates/changes as the need arises.
· Help to develop educational materials for use with schools and community groups.
· Assist with planning trainings and preparing training materials for volunteers participating in Human Rights Monitoring missions.
· Translate documents as necessary.
· Miscellaneous tasks as they arise or as a specific interest develops.
· Strong organizational and writing skills
· Research experience and the ability to analyze data
· Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
· Interest in human rights
· Fluency in English
· Proficiency in a Spanish a plus
For fall and spring internship: 8-15 hours per week for a total of 3-4 months
For academic year-long internship: 8-10 hours per week for a total of 7-8 months
For J-term internship: 40 hours per week for a total of one month
For summer internship: 20-40 hours per week for a total of 8-10 weeks
For a fellowship or special project: varies
Minimum of 160 total hours required for most internship positions
For more information about the Human Rights Monitoring Project, click here.