The 13th Annual International Women's Day Celebration will take place on March 15th, 2008, at Coffman Memorial Union, University of Minnesota. Organized by The Advocates and the Human Rights Program in the College of Liberal Arts at the U of M, this day-long event is expected to draw between 500-700 participants for an exciting day of workshops, plenary sessions, and performances. It is an occasion to highlight advancements in women's rights and equality, to encourage activism, and to educate participants about human rights issues that affect girls and women locally, nationally and internationally. The event is free, and a light lunch is also provided free of charge for all participants.
The Women's Program and the IWD coordinator are seeking an intern to work with the coordinator and other volunteers on various aspects of International Women's Day, and to be involved from the beginning of January through at least the end of March, 2008.
Possible intern duties:
Follow-up contacts with workshop presenters and co-sponsoring organizations
- Food and beverage donations
- Website updates on IWD
- Graphic design and printing of flyers and programs
- Logistics - audio/visual needs for workshops and performances; display tables; food donations, set-up and clean-up
- Volunteer coordination for the day of the event
- Registration (and pre-registration)
- Research on International Women's Day celebrations in other countries
- General administrative tasks - copying, data entry, filing
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Interest in and sensitivity to diverse cultures
- Interest in women's international human rights
- Fluency in English
For spring internship: 8-15 hours per week for a total of 3-4 months
Minimum of 160 total hours required for most internship positions
Learn more about International Women's Day.